Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday 23 August 09--Peter Paul and Mary

For those of us who grew up hearing songs like "Blowing in the Wind", and others that marked the era of folk music, protest music, and other things, you will certainly be familiar with the music of Peter Paul and Mary.

Last night, I was fortunate enough to see a concert given by Peter, and Paul, without Mary, who is/was very ill, and unable to perform. She was at her home in Connecticut--I believe that she has Leukemia, and Peter said that she was suffering from the effects of (something to do with a recent bone marrow transplant).

While the concert was a lot of fun, it was easy to see that the primary performers, Peter, Paul, and their back up bass fiddle, and guitar players, were all getting old too. The Bass Fiddle player was nearly unable to walk onto the stage, and Peter, and Paul, helped to support him to his place on stage where he played the large bass, all the while hooked up to his oxygen tank. The other guitar/mandolin/banjo player, sat through the show performing without expression on his face.

It's possible that I missed some of the finer nuances of expression and feeling shown by all of the performers--I was, after all, in what a friend of my has described as the "nose-bleed section", and even with my binoculars, I couldn't see everything as clearly as I would have liked.

Yet, Peter's voice, was clear, Paul's was clearer, and it sounded wonderful to hear them singing some songs I hadn't known, and others that were very familiar. Tom Paxton joined them on stage toward the end, it was also nice to see him, and he too has advanced into his older years while retaining his clear voice.

I'm glad I went. I wish I'd taken advantage of the proximity of the summer schedule of performances at Wolftrap in earlier years, still, no regrets. Next year I'll try to go.

Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment