We're off to the beach tomorrow! I can hardly wait!
The first thing that anyone who's going to the beach ought to do before going, is to figure out what kinds of things are necessary to occupy time. Not the usual things--other things--the kinds of things that you get to do that could be mistaken for leisure activities.
So what's your leisure? what do you desire to do? what would you like to do? when will you get to do it?
What do people do when they go to the beach? what's different about beach time than one's ordinary time?
I knit. I read. I crochet. I read. I take pictures. I used to bring things to study while sitting on the beach. That was a fairly long time ago, almost 18 years ago...still, I could do it again--study that is...and I do. So what should I study? Knitting is as good a topic as any, so why not. I suppose that there could be other things too, and so I'll still have to find those things too, and that's also a good thing to still be searching for the next thing that I want to do, need to do, am going to do...
If we stop doing things, or imagining the future for the kinds of possibilities that might exist, then we lose initiative. Initiative is always important, although I'm not sure it's the same as motivation.
One of my students in an earlier term wanted to know why he was different than his siblings. Why did he have the drive, the motivation, the desire to be different. What made him relatively successful in his life compared to his siblings, and relatives.
I've heard similar things from others.
I have some thoughts about their particular plights, still, am not yet willing to say my piece. At least not for the moment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment