My cherry tree is just about ready for being picked. I'm eager to get started--when the cherries are finally ready, and even a bit before, there's a race between "us", and the birds to get the most cherries from the tree.
We can't get to many of the highest branches, and the birds do get quite a lot of cherries, and that's okay. Under the tree there's a carpet of seeds from the cherries that the birds have eaten.
As for us, we get about five to ten gallons each year, depending on the weather, and how fast we are. I pit the cherries by hand--one at a time--and then either freeze the cherries, or make preserves. This year I'm going to can some of the cherries--without sugar.
I bought a new Ball Blue Book so that I can look up the best way to proceed--also some new kind of Sure-Jell that I can use with Splenda or some other thing. And a couple of new jars, and some new lids and bands.
I think that I'm looking forward to the canning part of the cherries more than any other thing. I haven't done any canning for a few years, and it'll be fun to go through the process of producing something useful in the kitchen again. I might try to get some other fruit to can--I think it's too late to try to get enough peaches to can.
Lila
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment