40 years ago, we are reminded, in the news, that it was the summer of the moon landing, and the summer of Love, the summer of Woodstock
Was I at Woodstock? No. People I've known for many years always seem to think that I had been there. No. Not that it wouldn't have been a neat thing to do, I would like to have gone. Traffic on the east coast was packed that weekend, the weather was kind of nasty, and I had no way to get there. And I went to work at my routine, boring, summer job, on Monday morning after the Woodstock weekend.....
There's going to be a new release of the movie documentary. I wonder if I'll try to see it. Probably.
Why would I want to see the rain, the mud, the people who made up the crowds of rained on and muddy hordes who came to see the performances at Woodstock....
I suppose that many of us who lived through that time have some kinds of unfinished thoughts about what the "era" meant, or what it was like.
Sure, I lived through the 60s, at the same time, I missed the things that made the image of what the 60s was the 60s. Who had time. Who had the money? who had the means to do those things. So, some of us were "there", in the sense of having lived through the time, yet, we weren't--many people lived fairly normal, fairly conservative lives.....And not everyone was out protesting "the War".
Which brings me to another point--not all of those protesters were out there because they were protesting "the War". Lots of people were out for an afternoon of socializing, good times, cameraderie, and oh-by-the-way, there's a protest demonstration going on. Grab a sign...
While there were true believers in the protests, that's not true for all who were a part of the "crowd". I was never a part of any of those crowds.
There were hypocrites among the peaceniks...
Lila
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment